Thanks to the prodding of some blogs, I decided to go sample the wonderful world of Studio Ghibli this week. Having only seen Grave of the Fireflies beforehand, which left me incredibly depressed (until I got someone else to watch it, lol), I’ve never seen anything else.
I helped myself to Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind today. It was just as what I expected, and more. By the end of the movie, I was already suppressing girly tears, in which the timely arrival of magical healing tentacle rape cured. Only by Ghibli. Given how many shows I’ve been following this month, Nausicaa left a big impression on me, with a toxic, beautiful post-apocalyptic world. I’m a sucker for anime-created worlds, and it just shows. Is it even wrong that I find ohmu adorable? Because they’re just scared, enraged, and it’s obviously our fault!
The theme of humans being the cancer that is killing planet Earth isn’t new, but Nausicaa manages to stress the point in creative ways. For instance, there’s a large difference in values between Nausicaa’s people and the Tolmekians. The former just want to coexist with the toxic ecosystem, while the latter wants to master it for themselves. The Tolmekians even plan to use ugly beam-spamming biomecha for that end! I was hoping for some giant mecha-esque action, but meh. In the end, it seems that Tolmekian ambitions have all gone for naught, and return home, but at least the valley people are happy again.
My favorite scenes in the movie are everytime Nausicaa’s on her glider. It’s just exhilarating. Flying in the air without complex machinery seems fun, it just reminds me of Eureka Seven and refboarding (more like I’m doing it wrong, I guess, but I really did see E7 way way before this). And that scene of badass old man subduing an entire Tolmekian boarding party.
* * *
On another note, it seems that my amazing brother has caught a Philippine TV commercial about Code Geass. And guess what, it’s gonna air tomorrow Monday, 7:30 pm on TV-5! Why am I ecstastic about this?
- There hasn’t been a decent local non-cable TV anime here since Eureka Seven.
- A new generation of kids is gonna grow up on SRSBZNS card games, ugly giant CG insects, Filipino-dubbed Spongebob and Avatar.
- We’ve been on reruns so long that it isn’t funny at all. I’m sick tired of Recca, Yu Yu Hakusho, Slam Dunk, Hajime no Ippo, and even Detective Conan.
- Again, too little amount of quality anime on non-cable channels. STOP DUMPING THE GOODS LIKE PANI PONI DASH ON HERO TV PLZ.
- You’d think GMA-7 would be apt to reair Gundam Wing, Gundam X, or G Gundam. Come on, at this rate, TV-5 is gonna beat both you and ABS-CBN’s SEED-loving ass with Gundam 00. Srsly.
At least TV-5 is finally acquiring some semblance of taste. Shana is mildly appealing, and Yamato Nadeshiko is just plain terrible that I can’t even bear to watch it. They should totally acquire Mai-Hime, too.
Well, as for the dub itself, can’t really say anything much except from what my brother told me. It seems that the dub pronounces Geass as “geese”, and Lelouch is apparently voiced by a girl. Luluko much?
A blog post will be due once I’ve finally watched the pilot ep.