- A lot of BGM and interface sounds were recycled from W.
- Difficulty is a step up W, in which the hardest parts were the Lambda Driver AS. Stumbling block: Stargazer stage.
- No voices. Drat.
- The anime cut-ins are all superbly done.
- /m/ said this is only 35 stages, with 10 more after 1st playthrough. Short game is short.
- The world map looks very different, owing to alternate worlds like OKG, Gun x Sword and Zoids Genesis. But I believe there’s no dimension-hopping or the sort.
- Partner Unit System is great. It allows you to deploy almost every unit, and is easier to manage than the Squad Systems of the Alpha series.
- The repair/resupply units can help themselves. No more whining about how Aphrodite A is defenseless!
- No SP Regen ;_;
- You can only use the Dannar base mechs. Shame, no MUSHIN ITTAI GODDINER!
- Lou joins and leaves, don’t know if she’ll return (and if her sugar daddy joins too).
- I ❤ Neo Okusaer’s barrier, which can nullify most attacks.
- Godannar has INSANE offensive power.
- Shizuru and Kouji are very decent, too.
- Funny that the pilot cut-ins have no bounce, but the mechs do.
Gun X Sword:
- Rumor: you can save Michael and Fasalina. Haven’t gone that far yet.
- Dann of Thursday is made of RAPE. Van’s morale acts as a damage multiplier too, and he does virtually double damage on 150 morale.
- Brownie and El Dorado V appear early on in one stage, but don’t actually join. I hope to get them soon.
- Infierno y Cielo, best homage attack ever.
- Jeeg is built like a Real with the strength of a Super. Awesome combination.
- AMMO-BASED COMBINATION ATTACKS OH GOD
- Bronze Bell powerup is cash.
- Unlike the Alpha version Jeeg, blown up = death. No surviving Jeeg Heads, sorry.
- The lack of Great, Mazinkaiser and Grendizer is appeased by buffing Z up in terms of stats.
- Once it gets Mazin Power and new attacks, Z transforms into a powerhouse.
- Boss is as funny as ever and has his own Dynamic Special attack now.
Gundam SEED Stargazer:
- Stargazer story proper is resolved in 1 stage, which is very hard unless you know what you’re doing. Tip: Cast Accel on everyone and rush towards the DSSD units. Take on the van, not the rear.
- The Phantom Pain unit is annoying with the Variable Phase-Shift Armor, and dishes out a lot of damage.
- Rumor is that you can save Blu Duel and Verde Buster along with its pilots, but I didn’t get them.
- Stargazer is rather disappointing, but it can nullify beam attacks, oh joy! (Also, final attack works like in the anime, hohoho)
Gundam SEED Destiny:
- Fuck, Kira and Athrun are even more overpowered here than in W. Both can OHKO grunts in the stage that they appear.
- It’s the return of Angry Lacus and her dodging Eternal! As for the Eternal, it counts as a deployable unit. And can repair/resupply stuff too.
- Cagalli can actually pilot something.
- DOM Trooper \o/
- No Shiho Hahnenfuss boo~
- Recruitable Heine, if you get to convince him with Athrun on the stage he appears in. I didn’t.
- Unlike in Alpha 3, you actually get to fight Virtual On enemies. And they’re quite strong with MAP attacks to boot.
- I have Temjin, Hatter and Fei-Yen right now, don’t know if I’ll get more. All are pretty solid.
- Pretty underwhelming. Its only real asset is the massive amount of pilots.
- That said, Cross Fight is a great theme.
- Goddamn Gaiking has a lot of combination attacks. And I mean A LOT.
- Face Open animation is the Goldion Hammer of this game. Too much win.
- The support units are all decent.
- Daikyu Maryu is pretty powerful, even without the Gaiking face. I use it as a front-liner too.
- I’m not sure what the “V” label in some of their attacks mean.
- Overall pretty solid, but pales in comparison to the CE units.
Soukyuu no Fafner:
- I know next to nothing about this series except for the Hisashi Hirai character designs, but the mechs are more than pretty.
- LOL at the masked guy. Reminds me of Rom Stoll.
- At any rate, I hate the Fafner baddies, they’re annoying.
Overman King Gainer:
- YASSABA GET. Also, that blonde S&M chick too. Just got them.
- King Gainer packs a lot of punch but is fragile as hell. I use him for the Chain Attacks.
- The main mech (orange) looks really good, and its attacks are all lovingly animated. However, I get the feeling that it’s uninspired. Final attack is like Shine Spark + Akashic Buster + Code Kirin + random shooting. Overall great stats, but still inferior to, say, Strike Freedom.
- The other mechs are strictly repair/resupply units.
- You can choose between the meganekko or the brown girl to gattai with. You know who I want.
- The villain mech looks like a Katoki-fied Devil Gundam. Pilot doesn’t look all too human either complete with shit-eating grin.
How this relates to my anime viewing:
- I’m rather sold on Fafner so I’m going to check it out real soon.
- Gaiking LODM seems to be a testosterone-charged kid’s show. Want.
- Remind me to continue OKG too. It’s a fun show.
- Gun X Sword might be okay enough for a few shits and giggles.