Mouretsu Pirates is one of those questionable premise shows that you’ll either love or hate. While I liked it, I was surprised with how it used its sci-fi setting to its advantage.
While not everything is entirely futuristic (there’s a maid cafe after all), the show puts attention to detail in spots that I applaud for:
1. The ship in the OP corrects its course with verniers. Verniers are cool. They single-handedly made Gundam 0083 look so pretty.
2. There’s an entirely believable (I’m not qualified to say “realistic”) orbital landing sequence that looks great to boot. And this is just a club activity. Coolest club? Coolest club.
3. Commuter cars that you summon for a ride! I like the idea.
4. The maid cafe is explained to be an a
nimanachronism because of human labor. It’s cheap because there aren’t any robots around. It may be a throwaway explanation, but I appreciate the attempt at justifying it. And it’s like I’m really in 21st-century Akihabara!
5. To gain access to her home, Marika needs a retinal scan, a fingerprint scan, a PIN, and a voice-activated lock, after which the front door opens in a really cool fashion.
6. Even the pocket watch looks amazing.
7. Yes, that bionic eye broadcasts the man’s thoughts. He thinks it’s delicious.
8. A laser squeeze pistol. A prime assassin’s weapon, you could conceal it in one hand. That’s a lens!
The new season is off to a good start. Let’s Piracy!